Today, I drove to 4 different Best Buy stores to take a look at the DVD/Blu-ray sections for work. I’ve done this for well going on 8 years. I’ve seen changes in the store but not like recent visits in the past 6 months.
Best Buy used to be Music and DVD in the front, stereos to the left, computers to the right and TVs in the back. Every store was like this.
The best way to sum up current stores is Best Buy = Any electronics device and supplemental merchandise.
Today’s experience of going to Best Buy is like
- walking into Target to get an official Twilight licensed curling iron,
- with a quick stop into Guitar Center for some Bass strings,
- while passing Bed Bath and Beyond to grab Green Mountain Coffee K-cups,
- then remembering to grab some Sharpie and Post-it notes at Staples,
- and then kicking up your fitness workout buy purchasing a kettle bell and a yoga mat at Sports Authority.
These are all things you can purchase at Best Buy today (why travel to ALL those stores?)
Best Buy can now be compared to the TV special “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys”
Which, knowing the reduction in their DVD/Blu-ray section, is not available in store for purchase.